16-year-old Liam Mooney killed by angry driver after he collided with moped in Perry Bar road rage incident

After a road rage incident at an intersection, a teenage boy was killed by an angry driver after chasing and hitting a moped on a road in Birmingham.

Paul Biggs “used his car as a weapon” to knock 16-year-old Liam Mooney off a machine on which he was a pillion passenger before accelerating.

He and his passenger, Dale Sharpen, then tried to cover their tracks by getting rid of their phones and disposing of the car.

read more – Garbage piled up on city streets as council issued an update on bin collection

Biggs, 26, of Hutton Drive, Brentwood, Essex, and Dale Sharpen, 31, of Vicarage Road, Woodford Green, north-east London, have previously denied the charge of murder.

They were both due for a stand trial at Birmingham Crown Court on Monday.

Although today they both admitted to the murder of Mr. Mooney, which was accepted by the prosecution.

Both also admitted to assaulting an 18-year-old boy who was driving a moped.

Prosecutor Adrian Keeling QC said that on the evening of March 22 last year Biggs, who was driving the Volvo, came to the Perry Bar area with Sharpen from the London area.

He said Mr Mooney and the 18-year-old moped driver had met two other people and were walking around the area on two mopeds for “fun”.

At about 7 p.m. they reached an intersection in Rocky Lane, where the first biker, a little ahead, chatted.

Volvo then went to the roundabout and broke down causing the other moped to break and turn around.

Police laid siege to Rocky Lane at Perry Bar.

As they left the bike, Mr Mooney “kicked out” to the passenger side window of the car.

Mr Keeling said it was he who then inspired what happened next.

He told the court: “Volvo made a fairly deliberate decision to stop following Rocky Lane at certain speeds, rather than stop.”

He said as the car followed the bike, Sharpen took his hand out the window and was abusing the two teenagers.

He told the court that the driver of the moped “was afraid that Volvo was about to hit the rear of the bike or come along and push them off the road.”

He said: “He decided to try to escape from the car by hitting a curb, but the Volvo hit the rear of the bike and caused him to lose control.

“He leaned to the left and crashed into the back of a stationary car.

“The defendants should have known what had happened but then fled.”

Mr Keeling said both men on the second moped returned to the scene and found Mr Mooney unconscious and mortally wounded.

He was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital but nothing could be done to save him.

The 16-year-old had suffered injuries including a skull fracture and a spinal fracture.

Mr Keeling said Biggs was driving in an “aggressive and intimidating manner” and was encouraged by Sharpen.

He told the court: “It was a joint attack by the driver and the passenger.”

The victim’s mother, Laura Brown, said in a statement: “Our lives changed forever on March 23 when our beloved son was taken away from us.

“He was only 16 and had his whole life ahead of him.

“He had a smile and personality that was infectious and he permeated every room.”

Ian Henderson QC for Biggs said: “There was clearly some incident at the roundabout. It turned out to be nothing. These things happen often.

“These events happened over short distances and in a short period of time.

“He really regrets his actions.”

Whereas Michael Evers QC for Sharpen said: “It was not a situation where he decided to harm the other.

“There was 20 to 30 seconds between the wing mirrors closing and the crash.

“It was a lot of excitement of the moment and without much planning.”

Judge Francis Laird QC will sentence both defendants tomorrow morning.