Antonio Conte has a pitiful return at Stamford Bridge as Romelu Lukaku seals victory at Spurs at Chelsea

Chelsea put a leg up in the Carabao Cup final and registered a 2-0 win over unhappy Tottenham on a wretched Stamford Bridge return for ex-Blues boss Antonio Conte.

A Havertz scored his fifth goal of the campaign, before Ben Davies cast his net as Chelsea won the first leg of the semi-finals in west London.

The Blues will now hope to complete the work in north London next Wednesday, reaching their first League Cup final since 2019.

However, despite dominating Spurs, Chelsea have missed out on a number of missed opportunities, and are hopeful that the second leg will not hold back the recklessness.

The Blues shed first blood in January’s trio between fierce London rivals, with an absentee-inspired 4-3-3 formation paying big dividends for boss Thomas Tuchel.

Havertz cut a battered and bruised figure to a head knock and a suspected broken finger on his half-time return, with the Blues hoping the forward would not be sidelined for long.

Positive Covid-19 tests for Thiago Silva and N’Golo Kante were of more concern on the night, but Chelsea adjusted well for a fully deserved win.

Romelu Lukaku was back in action after his internal disciplinary lapse in a 2–2 draw with Liverpool, but could not score a goal to kick-start his redemption campaign.

The Belgian striker recently lashed out at Tuchel and Chelsea for expressing unhappiness at Stamford Bridge for an interview.

After missing out on Sunday’s Premier League encounter, apologizing and paying a fine, the 28-year-old’s club-record recruit was back in action and determined to prove his commitment.

Such was Chelsea’s superiority and Tottenham’s ill-health that the Blues could comfortably endure a quiet night out of their £98million talisman.

Chelsea took the lead, troubling Spurs with precise pressure.

Marcos Alonso smashes Emerson Royal during Tottenham’s pedestrian passing, then feeds Havertz down the left into the box.

Germany forward Havertz lay on the pass and caught behind Hugo Lloris via a deflection from Davinson Sanchez.

A Golmouth scuffle left Havertz with a suspected broken finger, but the former Bayer Leverkusen player was back in action after a touchline treatment.

Havertz should have doubled both his and Chelsea’s tally when a deflected clearance fell straight into his path, but a first-time shot allowed Lloris to stop the routine.

As Chelsea’s dominance continued, Tony Rudiger’s far-away shot went wide from a corner, and then a dominant defensive woods gifted the Blues their second goal.

The evacuation, headed by Japhet Tanganga, emanated from Davis’ shoulder – and directly behind the sculpted loris.

Lukaku should have made it three before the break, but could only nod wide from a teasing cross from striker Hakim Ziyech.

Timo Werner replaced Havertz at half-time, immediately adding more breadth to the Blues attack.

Spurs improved after the interval, and Harry Kane’s drilled free-kick forced a solid stop from Kepa Arrizabalaga.

Chelsea’s repost was a flanking shot from Lukaku, but lacking venom on the first attempt.

Ziyech should have buried a golden opportunity at work freed up by Werner’s clean link play with Lukaku.

But the Moroccan winger failed to generate any power on his left footed shot which gifted Lloris an easy save.

Werner had beaten everyone – including Lloris – with a curling shot from the left, only for the ball to go wide of the post.

Ziych acknowledged the passage of the night to send Werner clear through the middle, but Loris extended a palm to his attempted chip to thwart the German.

Spurs began to outlast a tired looking Chelsea, so Matteo Kovacic and the fit-again Ruben Loftus-Cheek replaced Mason Mount and the much better Saul Niguez.

Ziyech offered another great chance, and Chelsea pulled off a late scramble in their own penalty box to secure a convincing win.