Former suspects offer condolences to Ashling Murphy’s family

A man asked before he was dropped from the Garda investigation into the murder of Ashling Murphy has extended his sympathies to the bereaved family and spoke of the trauma of his detention and the resulting public comment.

“I feel terrible for the misfortune of the young woman and the family. I cannot imagine what they are going through,” said Radu Florisel (39).

After Mr Florisel was released from custody on Thursday night, Gardai issued a statement saying the man he had arrested was no longer a suspect and had been removed from his interrogation in the murder of a 23-year-old co-offley schoolteacher. .

In an interview with the Tullamore Tribune, Mr Florisel said the two days he spent in custody were the most terrible of his life.

“I have helped and will continue to do everything I can to help with the investigation. It has been a terrifying experience for me, my family and my lawyer.”

He said his lawyer, Donal Farrelly, was subjected to verbal abuse as he drove to and from Tullamore Garda station, where Mr Florisel was detained from 5 p.m. Wednesday to 11 p.m. Thursday.

While he was being questioned, Mr Florikel said his sister was appearing in court on charges of failing to leave the family home when it was designated as the crime scene.

He was remanded in custody till next Wednesday with consent for bail.


“Since then [gardaí] Got me arrested I’m living a nightmare. My sister who is suffering from depression and is now in jail for refusing to leave our house and we are really worried about her. My mother and grandmother are really worried and upset and they have also been forced to leave our house. ,

He said he was “recognized on the media and on social media” and that “really bad” and “derogatory” things were said about him.

Mr Florikel, who has moved to Ireland at the age of 16 from Romania to reunite with his parents, said he wants his name to be completely cleared.

He said he has multiple past convictions for violations of public order and believes the current assault charge stemming from an incident at his home last year will be dropped.

“We are a proud Romanian family. We don’t think this should be seen as disrespectful or anything like that.”

“My mom is a voice instructor for singing and speech therapy. He has students from all different families in the city. A lot of families and people know us.”

He said that he and his mother, grandmother and sister all live together and have become well integrated in Tullamore.

Mr Florikel said he worked locally at a mobile phone shop, went to the Athlon Institute of Technology and Sligo to study, and recently worked in a gaming arcade before it was closed due to COVID-19. Were. She has a daughter and is separated from her mother.

neck at the door

On Wednesday, Gardai’s arrival at his door came as a big shock.

“At first I thought it was a joke, I thought it was a joke. The guards were talking about getting arrested for murder and I could not believe it,” he said.

“The house is destroyed. Everything is turned upside down. I don’t know what they were looking for.”

At least four hours earlier he had received a lift from a friend to a nearby shop to buy milk, coffee and cigarettes, and then drove home on a different route along the southern edge of the Grand Canal, on his way back to his home. went on the road. House.

Ashling Murphy’s fatal attack took place on the North Shore, on a walking and cycling trail paved with tarmac, while the side where Mr Florisel walked is a meadow.

He said that the CCTV from the shop which was shown to him when he was being questioned and proved that he was there at that time.

He also said that his phone contained further evidence of what he was doing as it logged the music he was playing.

“I love walking there,” he said.

After being brought to Garda station, she said that her clothes were taken from her and her fingerprints were taken.

“They kept asking the same question over and over and I said ‘No, it has nothing to do with me’. I told them exactly where I was walking, the clothes I was wearing and what I did. I paid with a credit card in the shop so they had everything.”


He said it was “terrible” when the questions were repeated and he got angry because he had been telling Gardy the same thing for hours.

“I was telling the truth from the beginning,” he said, adding that he told officers that “as long as you keep me here, the real killer is out there somewhere”.

He said a similarity between him and a man being sought by guards resulted in him being misidentified in a line-up.

Also, he was told that the man they were looking for had a different color to his eyes, and that he had decided to grow a beard during the lockdown when he became depressed, a condition for which he was still treated. being done.

After his release he was provided with home away from his home for a night and provided with garda security for the family residence.

Along with the trauma of his detention and interrogation, he said that “media and social media” coverage saw “really bad” and “outrageous” things about him.

He said that his “friends” on Facebook had threatened him and called him by name.

“My biggest concern at the moment is for my sister. I am concerned about the safety of my family at this time. I am worried for my sister and my mother and my grandmother [who] Really proud people but he told me now he feels like it, even if it is his home. Now the whole thing is over,” he said.

“I’m trying to get my family back where they were before. I know my name should have been cleared by now but I could still get threats. Some people may not have heard the latest news. Mine The name has not been cleared.”