Late Marcus Smith’s heroics defends victory for Harlequin in Cardiff thriller

Marcus Smith landed a match-winning penalty with the final kick of the game as Harlequin claimed a thrilling 36-33 Heineken Champions Cup win over Cardiff.

England’s fly-half scored four minutes from time, which they converted, and then went through a non-stop strike through the last gasp to seal their team’s place in Round 16 of the competition.

Gallagher Premiership champions looked to be paying a heavy price for captain Alex Dombrandt’s second-half yellow card.


Marcus Smith kicks the winning penalty (David Davis/PA)

Cardiff turned the game – played behind closed doors at Arms Park – on its head while England international Dombrandt was locked in, making three quick attempts.

But when Smith added on earlier tries from Louis Lynagh, Tyrone Green, Luke Northmore and Danny Care, Quinn dug deeper while Smith scored a penalty for four conversions and a 16-point haul.

Wing Owen Lane led the way for Cardiff, touching twice as Wales head coach Wayne Pivac, forwards James Ratty, Dillon Lewis and Corey Domachowski also scoring and fly-half Jarrod Evans added four conversions.

Cardiff was under immediate pressure from the player’s unavailability for their opening two European games before Christmas as Smith made twice the quickest half-break, and it was no surprise when he made an opening attempt after only six minutes.

Cardiff was extended defensively, and Smith’s pinpoint kick was caught by Lynagh, which effectively ended before Smith opened up a seven-point lead.


Danny Care was among those who tried Harlequin (David Davis/PA)

But Quins was then shaken five minutes later by Cardiff’s par score as Lane powered his way to try to give everything up to his strength and elusiveness.

Evans’ conversion put Cardiff on level terms, and he struck again at the end of a lively opening quarter, when center Ray Lee-Low went clear in midfield, Adams stepped up, then Ratti touched down.

A second successful Evans conversion meant that Quince’s promising opening had evaporated, and Cardiff continued to play impressive front-foot rugby under Lee-Lo.

However, Quince continued to put pressure through his forward at the close of half-time, and he bounced after being sin-binded after repeated team violations by Cardiff prop Dimitri Arhip.

Cardiff had defended tenaciously, but when Greene made the last-ditch move for his team’s second attempt, and Smith widened the conversion effort, Queens was firmly back in the adrift 14–12. Have come.

Smith & Company thought they struck again within a minute of resumption, centering after a fine kick into space by the fly-half that had gathered momentum by Merchant, before Carey dived between positions. Imposed.


Cardiff suffered a heart-wrenching late defeat (David Davies/PA)

But the score was dismissed as Carey was offside, and while it was a big let-off for Cardiff, they were soon undone through more fine work by Smith, who set up an attack. Key, which ended with Dombrandt passing a scoring pass to Northmore.

Cardiff was shoved back on his heels, yet he made a strong reaction after a yellow-card to Dombrandt for a technical offense at the Queens line, Lewis scored on the third try and Evans’ conversion back to his team. carried forward.

Quinn was suddenly all over the place, and two more attempts followed in rapid succession as Lane scored a brilliant run at the corner flag, then Domachowski scored after a thrilling long-distance team move.

Evans converted a fourth Cardiff attempt, leaving Queens 12 points short of entering the final quarter.

He realistically had to score to revive hopes of victory, and it was Carey who snared his way through Cardiff’s defence, and another conversion from Smith halved the deficit.

Hooker Kirby Myhill became the second Cardiff player to take a yellow card, as the clock ticked, and Queens was camping inside opposition 22, before Smith made a surprise late fight to complete the fight, converting and Show your class through punishment.