‘Life-threatening’ electrical wires exposed on flat in Halsovene, but resident was cut


A flat with chaotic stars has been discovered in Helsven, as one resident described it as “life threatening”.


The resident, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the local Democracy Reporting Service that he had contacted both Dudley Council and National Grid on the matter for several months between October and December last year.

He said: “I went to get an electrical certificate for my flat to be sure, but when a local electric company came to check it out, they told me they wouldn’t pass it, and said that The wiring was totally dangerous.


Read more:Shocking video of water seeping into Sandwell’s house for four years

“I remember the engineer who used to ask his boss what he should do, and he said he had never seen such bad wiring in his life.”

The resident contacted National Grid, which, when asked if the wiring was secure, told them it was not.


“I asked [Dudley council] What should I do. I flagged it with him three or four times. He answered me over the phone ‘What do you mean, what’s wrong with that?’, which I find quite unbelievable.”

The resident told the Local Democracy Reporting Service that he, as a leaseholder for his flat, paid a service charge to Dudley Council.

On the council’s website it states: “The freeholder is responsible for keeping the structure in good repair, maintaining and cleaning any common parts, recovering these and any management costs through service charges levied on the leaseholders.” “


But as for the resident, he said he felt like he was being “betrayed”.

“I pay them a service fee to organize the maintenance of my flat, and feel like I am being duped. This is really unacceptable, especially because this wiring has been said to be life threatening “

Electrical wires were found in one of the flats on Islington Road, in a cupboard in a hallway, supplying electricity to all the other flats.

While the resident said that his own wiring was suitable inside his flat, he was concerned about electricity in other rooms by different individuals.

“My flat is fine because I fixed the wiring, but as you can see in the photo, what about the other tenants in this building? What if this horrible wiring causes an accident?”

Clerk Laura Taylor-Childs (opposition, Norton), and cabinet member for Housing and Community Services, said: “We have our electrical engineers today and can reassure tenants that there are no immediate safety risks but it is clear that some improvement work is needed.

“This work will be under the responsibility of the distribution network operators, who are the electricity suppliers for each individual flat.

“They are responsible for connecting the cables running from their customer’s flat to the meter.

“We have been talking to residents in the block and advising them to contact their electricity supplier to prioritize and rectify the work.

“We are going to follow up with the suppliers as well. We thank the tenant for bringing this to our attention.”

A spokesman for EON Energy said: “We have supplied to the person concerned since September 2021 and have not received any contact with him raising concerns over the wiring in the meter cupboard, nor have we received anything from National Grid to increase this .

“Now that we have been made aware of this, we are sending a technical expert to check the wiring in the cupboards at the property, to determine who will be responsible for the wiring and what action should be taken.

“We are unable to touch meters owned by other suppliers and are not responsible for the condition of the meter cupboards, which may be the situation of the landlord or local distribution company, which we will determine when we go.”

National Grid has been contacted for comment.

Stay up to date with the latest information on the region with our Black Country email updates.

,