Mikel Arteta welcomes Arsenal’s anti-knife offense ‘No More Raid’ campaign

Mikel Arteta has welcomed Arsenal’s anti-knife offense campaign ‘No More Red’ as the Gunners prepare to wear an all-white kit to boost the initiative in the FA Cup.

That campaign will see Adidas build on Arsenal’s longstanding work in the community to keep youth safe from knife crime and youth violence.

Between June 2020 and June 2021, more than 10,000 knife offenses took place in London.

Last year also saw London see the most number of juvenile homicides in a year since records began – most of which involved knife attacks.

Arteta, wearing a white hoodie at Friday’s press conference ahead of Arsenal’s FA Cup third-round tie in Nottingham Forest to highlight the issue, said: “We really as a club with the knife offense Have been involved over the years and we have the ability to expose that issue in London.

“Everyone at the club has been extremely helpful, especially with the players and our sponsor Adidas, who have been exceptionally good at coming up with some great ideas to support.

“I think it’s very beneficial.”

England internationals Bukayo Saka and Emil Smith Rowe were among Arsenal players who took part in a video to support the ‘No More Raid’ campaign.

We’ve been really involved as a club with knife crime over the years and we have the ability to highlight that issue in LondonMikel Arteta

The Gunners will campaign at City Ground on Sunday wearing a one-time full white kit, a stripe that will never be made available for sale.

Shirts worn by 10 starting outfield players are ready to be donated to organizations addressing some of the root causes of violent youth crime in the community.

On input from his players, Arteta said: “They have known for some time that this campaign has been trying to do for a long time, but due to the issues of COVID, we have not had the opportunity to do so.

“We are going to do it now for Sunday’s game and they are very supportive of it.

“There’s a lot of work that is done outside of lights and a lot of effort has gone into trying to design different ways and ideas for a lot of people to support that cause.

“It is not something that is going to be solved overnight, but it definitely needs exposure and attention, so hopefully many others can jump on the initiative and try to solve it because This is a big issue in London.”

Actor Idris Elba and former Arsenal striker Ian Wright have both been heavily involved in a campaign that will provide investment in the construction and renovation of safe places to play football.

Elba said: “From the time young people leave school, by the time they are at home with family, there is often a void, a dangerous spike of nothing to do, where nothing can easily become dangerous. .

“If there is no option for an after-school period, we will always be seen as gangs. Let’s make choices for these young people.”

Former England striker Wright, who scored a then-club record 185 goals for Arsenal between 1991 and 1998, said: “Every young man should have the opportunity to express himself.

“The opportunity to exist in a safe environment. An opportunity to live free from the fear of violence.

“We can never accept as ‘normal’ the loss of life through youth violence in our city and it is so important that we all work together to create a better environment for youth.

“By giving young people more space to play sports, more support and access to individuals who can inspire them, together we can help make a difference for youth in London.”