European Commission Vice-President Marus Seifkov has said talks around the Northern Ireland Protocol will not resume.
It has taken steps to reduce the EC and regulatory checks by 80% and dramatically reduce customs duties on the transportation of goods between the UK and the island of Ireland, especially food and agricultural products.
The government welcomed the announcement, signaling that it wanted “deep dialogue” to implement the EU’s recommendations.
At the same time, however, a government spokesman said there should be “significant changes” in the Northern Ireland Protocol to the Brexit evacuation agreement if there is to be a “sustainable settlement”.
Brexit Minister Lord Frost will meet with Mr Sefkov in Brussels on Friday to discuss ways to end the stalemate.
Mr Sefkovic spoke to Northern Ireland’s political leaders on Thursday.
After that, he said he had no mandate to renegotiate the protocol.
He told the BBC Northern Ireland’s The View program: “Now we really have to make the last mail, work constructively with all the suggestions on the table, and finally put it to bed.”
“I believe we can be at home with our suggestions on the table and as I said, let’s try to solve all these problems before Christmas because I think it will be the best Christmas gift we can have in the North. Can give to the people of Ireland. “
However, Mr Sefkovich added: “I have no order to renegotiate the protocol … the return agreement, the protocol and the trade and cooperation agreement, we signed it, we ratified it, This is international law and I think we should respect it. “
Earlier, speaking on BBC2’s Newsnight, EU Ambassador Joao Val de Almeida said Brussels had gone “extra mile” and could not move forward after Wednesday’s proposals.
“We went to great lengths to address the problems of Northern Ireland because we care about Northern Ireland,” he said.
These problems were caused by Bridget.
He emphasized that the EU could not accept the important British demand for the removal of the role of the European Court of Justice (ECJ) under the auspices of the Protocol.
The European Court is not a market without justice. This is a single market referee.
Lord Frost has previously said that Britain cannot accept the role of European judges.
But as a sign of his willingness to compromise, he told colleagues on Wednesday that he had never used the term “red lines” in his talks.
Under the terms of the protocol, agreed by the UK and the EU as part of the 2020 withdrawal agreement, the ECJ will be the final arbiter in any future trade dispute between the two sides over the operation of the protocol.
The UK now wants to remove this clause and replace it with an independent arbitration process.
One option Brussels is considering is a lesser role for European judges.
The Times reported that under the plan, disputes would go to an independent arbitration panel, with the ECJ asking to address the narrow issues of EU law as a last resort after the dispute failed to be resolved.
Cabinet Minister Sajid Javed said that ending the role of ECJ was one of the important points.
The Health Secretary told Sky: “Looking ahead, the European Court of Justice should have no role in any part of the UK, including Northern Ireland.
“I think this is a very legal point of view that the court has. Lord Frost has made that very clear in his speech this week. One of the most important issues is to end the role of the ECJ in Northern Ireland.
The package of proposals already proposed by the European Union will eliminate the possibility of certain products, including sausage, by banning shipments from the UK to Northern Ireland.
The EU plan also includes a 50 per cent reduction in the customs paperwork required to transport goods across the Irish Ocean.
In return, the trade bloc has called for the implementation of security measures to provide additional protections that do not end products designated for Northern Ireland to cross the Irish border.
These include labeling some products to make it clear that they are for sale in the UK only, and to better monitor supply chain movements and access real-time trade flow information.
The European Union’s plan is the equivalent of a set of counter-proposals in response to a protocol reform wish list outlined by the UK government in July.
The proposals from both sides will now form the basis for a new round of talks between Brussels and London in the coming weeks.
The Northern Ireland Protocol was adopted by Britain and the European Union as a way to avoid a major obstacle to the Bridget divorce negotiations, the Irish land border.
It achieved that regulatory and customs checks and processes were transferred to the Irish Sea.
But arrangements have created new economic barriers to goods traveling from the UK to Northern Ireland.
It has disrupted many businesses in Northern Ireland and created a major political headache for the government, as unions and loyalists are angry that they see the union as weak.
Former Welsh Minister Mark Drake Ford said he was “clearly surprised” by the UK government’s stance, adding: “This is their deal, yet we often tell British government ministers We hear that this agreement is someone else’s responsibility. “
“This is a very important issue for Wales as our ports face the island of Ireland and trade through our ports has declined significantly since Brexit,” he told Sky News.