Rusted Dublin sees through in power-packed finish

Dublin 2-27

Antrim 1-21

‘Cometh the hour, cometh the man’ was a phrase that applied particularly to Darragh Power, the Fingalians man to make his long-awaited senior debut in the 60th minute, as Dublin made a poor start on Sunday. claimed to have scored at Parnell Park. ,

Last year was the vice used by County U20 captain Matty Kenny as he walked the bench in the second half.

And Power certainly showed some nice touches, though Colin Curry was his star performer with 1-13.

Donycarney had a cold day, Dublin turning in a mixed performance that saw him register 10 wides in the first half, while his passing and overall play were well below championship standard.

But they worked hard nonetheless and given a poor start to the game, they would have been happy to go into half-time with a two-point lead.

Antrim were certainly the better team overall in the opening period, drawing 1–5 without an answer between the seventh and 14th minutes, leaving eight points clear.

After a good link-up pay between Neil McManus and lead scorer Ciaran Clarke, Declan Murphy’s 13th-minute goal from the edge of the square saw them go from 1–7 to 0–3, and Dublin could not score at that time. was struggling to get it. Fluent going on as Antrim players put pressure on him.

However, Dublin’s style of action put him in good stead and the situation looked less dire after Ryan McBride’s points and Colin Curry’s brace at the end of the first water break.

And although Sean O’Sullivan was to see a save attempt by the keeper in the half-hour, Dublin, pushing Adrian Mallett further, struck a crucial blow in stoppage time when O’Sullivan came low from his marker to finish past. Went ahead. Keeper – For Dublin at 1-13 to 1-11 intervals.

And though Clarke would cut the deficit with at least one free shortly after the turnaround, Dublin scored the second goal on 40 minutes when Curry took a pass to his brother Shaun before hitting an Antrim keeper.

And after McBride impressed with five points, Dublin never really bothered, with some good long-distance scores from Chris Crummy putting them well ahead.

Later, Dublin manager Matty Kenney expressed satisfaction with the day’s performance.

“We were a little slow in the beginning, but we got on with the game. The forwards went ahead and got some good scores and I think by half-time we were two points clear.

“So we got back into the game and, you know, in the second half the boys worked hard and we turned on all our subs and we gave them runouts, so it was a good day for us.”

Scorers: Dublin: C Curry 1-13 (0-8 free, 0-1 65), R McBride 0-5; C O’Sullivan 1-1); C Crummy 0-3, J Heatherton 0-2, R Smith, E Dillon, A Mallett 0-1 each). Antrim: C Clarke 0-6, (0-5f 0-1 65); C Johnson, Ann McKenna 0-4 each), D Murphy 1-1, (0-1 free), E Campbell 0-2 (0-1 free), Ann McManus, M Bradley, C Bohill, D McKernan 0-1 each)

Dublin: S. Brennan; J Bellew, P Smith, L Walsh; R Smith, De Grey, J Madden; C. Burke, C. Crummy; A. Mallett, R. McBride, C. O’Sullivan; C Curry, S Curry, J Heatherton. Later members: R. Hayes for O’Sullivan (h/t); De Keogh for S Curry, De Burke for Heatherton (49); T. Connolly (54) for Smith; E. Dillon for Mellet, S. Barrett for Grey, K. Burke for Walsh (56); D Power (60) for C Burke.

Antrim: P McMullan; A. Crawford, M. Donnelly, G. Walsh; S Walsh, E Campbell, J Maski; S Shannon, M Bradley; Ann McKenna, C Johnson, C Bohill; D Murphy, Ann McManus, C Clarke. Subs: D McKernan for Shannon (h/t); R. McCambridge for S. Walsh, R. McGarry for Muskie, P. Burke (49) for M. Bradley; S. Elliott for Clark, A. Bradley for Bohill (54); K Molloy for McManus (60); S. Rooney for G. Walsh (69).

Reference: D Hughes (Kilkenny).