Sigerson Cup Round-up: Holders for DCU, UL and Letterkenny IT

Three matches of the Sigerson Cup were to be decided on Tuesday night. Here’s how they went…

DCU 2-17 Maynooth University 1-9

Sigerson Cup holders DCU marched into the next round of this year’s competition with a straight forward victory over Maynooth University.

Courtesy of Robert Finnerty, Luke Tovey, Red Ogg Murphy, Shane Tierney and Zack Bryant running into a five-point lead inside the opening 12 minutes, DCU remained in complete control throughout the tie.

Maynooth University had to wait until the 16th minute for their first score of the game and it came from a placed ball through Kildare man Shane O’Sullivan.

DCU led the hosts 0-4 from 0-4 points at the half-time whistle and took a 0-4 point advantage from a relatively commanding 0-9.

The second half was very one-sided and the game was effectively ended as a contest only 3 minutes after the restart, when the aforementioned Finnerty blew the ball past Sean Burke’s net.

Several points followed and DCU soon found themselves 1–12 to 0–6 before Maynooth University flagged its own through substitute Dan Linham.

Despite a spirited performance, it proved to be little consolation for the home side and another goal for the DCU within the last 10 minutes, as well as some more well-received points from the likes of Mark Barry and Josef Hagen soon followed. The misery escalated, and the DCU were the absolute price for their victory.

Scorer – DCU: R. finernti 1-3 (1f); J Do 1-2; Mark Barry 0-3; S Walsh, J Bryant 0-2 each; S. Tierney 0-2 (1f); P Hodges, R and Murphy, L Tovey 0-1 each. Menuth University: S O’Sullivan 0-4 (3f); de Linham 1-0; C Walsh 0-2; De Leon, E Mulhall and C Feeney 0-1 each.

DCU: D’O’Hanlon; De Corcoran, S Ryan, M Curran; S. Fitzgerald, S. Walsh, L. Tovey; Coleman L, Murphy R OG; B. Carroll, R. Finnerty, P. Hughes; K Lynch Bissett, J Bryant, S Tierney. Subscribe to: M Barry for Finnerty (42), J Hagen for Tierney (42), M Costello for Coleman (46), C Ryan for Carroll (52), R O’Myrlaugh for Corcoran (57).

Menuth University: C Burke; C Hartnett, K Doran, K Murray; J Coffey, C Walsh, K Dwyer; de Lyons, de Warnock; McDermott P, Egan D, Feeney C; C Chawke, S O’Sullivan, J Darcy. Subscribers: S McCormack for Feeney (HT), D Linham for Coffee (HT), E Mulhall for 15 (39 inj), C Burns for Dwyer (46), C Kehoe for Chawke (48).

Referee: B. Hickey (Kildare).

UL 4-15 IT Sligo 0-7

UL made an impressive start to the Sigerson Cup with an easy 4-15 0-7 win over IT Sligo under lights at the University of Limerick.

David Clifford top-scored for UL with 1-5, while Carey’s former teammate Paul Walsh scored two goals off the bench.

Claire’s Emmett McMahon sent off more than five points from the game in an impressive performance. Mayo’s Eoghan McLaughlin scored in the second UL goal.

UL took a 0-7 0-1 lead at the water break with McMahon, Donal O’Sullivan and Clifford. The only reaction Ben Kafferky had was for Sligo.

The game was completed on minute 20 when McLaughlin fired low into the net through the Sligo defense. Matthew McGahern went free for IT Sligo before the break, leaving the half-time score 1-8 to 0-2.

Walsh’s introduction strengthened UL even more and his two quick goals put the game to bed with enough time to play.

Clifford entered the late goalscoring act with a brilliant left foot that helped UL to a 20-point victory.

Scorer – ul: D Clifford 1-5 (3F), P Walsh 2-0, E McMahon 0-5, E McLaughlin 1-0, D O’Sullivan 0-3 (2F), C Dempsey and D Walsh 0-1 each; IT Sligo: M McGahern (2F) and O McLaughlin (2F) 0-2 each, B Kafferki, P O’Driscoll and K Colley 0-1 each.

ul: C. Flaherty; J Glynn, C Donnelly, P Maher; G O’Donovan, S Power, E McLaughlin; C Dempsey, D Walsh; Sea Downs, E McMahon, O Looney; D. Clifford, de Grey, D. O’Sullivan; Subscribers: P Walsh (HT) for Grey, C Ogg Jones (39) for Looney, Jay McCarthy (41) for Glynn, C Igoi (46) for Downs, Joe Bryan (48) for Power.

IT Sligo: L Jennings; T McCain, S Dok, S Murphy; C. McKeen, C. Joyce, A. O’Brien; L. Molloy, M. Barrett; C Murray, M McGahern, J Keene; B. Kaferki, F. Ayorinde, P. O’Heer; Members: Dee Fitzgerald for McCann (HT), O’McLaughlin for Kafferki (HT), Kay Cooley (43) for Molloy, A. Keelaghan (51) for Keene, P. O’Driscoll (54) for Joyce.

Referee: J Molloy (Galway).

letterkenny it 1-13 it carlo 1-11

Letterkenny IT snatched victory from IT Carlo in dramatic fashion by scoring an unanswered 1-3 in the closing minutes against the 2020 runners-up in Dungani in the first round of the Sigerson Cup last night.

Wicklow man Gyroyd Murphy scored his fourth point of the game in the 56th minute to clear IT Carlo, but the Donegal side made a stormy end to win the final 1–3 of the game.

Substitute Keelan McGrady opened the comeback when he fired a Carlo net in the 58th minute to end a drifting move. Liam Gaughan and Jason McGee then kicked Rory O’Donnell to either side of point as Carlo saw the winning prospect through his fingers.

LYIT did better in the first half but failed to make the most of their opportunities and they paid for it when Darren McDermott fed Adam Stead and he shot it over the Letterkenny net with the last kick of the half to give IT Carlo a 1- Left behind by 4. 0-4 forward at the brakes, 0-4 to 0-2 back in one step.

Murphy and Evan Lowry helped IT Carlo stay on the scoreboard, but hardworking McGee and Gaughan’s freeze kept LYIT in touch.

But until McGrady’s strike kickstarted that dramatic ending, his best efforts seemed in vain.

Scorer: Letterkenny – Jay McGee 0-4 (2fs, 1’45), El Gaughan 0-4fs, K McGrady 1-0, C O’Donnell 0-2, Jay McSherry 0-1, R O’Donnell 0-1, R McFadden 0 -One. IT CARLO – G Murphy 0-4, E Lowry 0-4 (3fs), A Stead 1-0, K Roche 0-2fs, T Griffin 0-1.

Letterkenny IT: E Maguire; K Tobin, S. Doherty, J. Gallagher; C O’Donnell, O Langan, J McShary; R. O’Donnell, R. McFadden; K Dunlavy, P Mogan, J McGee; M McAteer, S Neri, J Bradley Walsh. Sub: L. Gaughan, 18, for McAteer; E Dowling for Neri, h/t; Kay McGrady, 47, for Walsh; De Dorian for Dunleavy, 47.

IT CARLO: the fury of; J Donohue, M Fury, K McDonnell; C Doyle, J Moore, P Hempenstall; T Griffin, P O’Toole; D McDermott, G Murphy, A Stead, JP Hurley, J O’Leary, E Lowry. Sub: J Wallace, h/t for O’Leary; de Kepock, 47, for Hempenstall; Di Costello for Stead, 54; P Farelli, 55, for McDermott.

Referee: C. Reilly (meth).