The family welcomed the decision to stop the nurse after the woman committed suicide

The parents of a vulnerable young woman who killed herself after being denied a psychiatric bed have welcomed the decision to kill one of the nurses involved, saying they hope the move will help other families. “Failing horribly by mental health services” would help.

ngela Mays said she is still waiting for the full facts to emerge, seven years after the death of her 22-year-old daughter, Sally Mays, in 2014.

Mrs Mays, 70, and her husband Andy, 69, were speaking after a decision by the Nursing and Midwifery Council’s (NMC) Fitness to Practice Committee that nurse Patrick Mackie should be fired.


Family Handout – Sally Mays

After 12 days of hearing, an independent panel found that all charges against Mr Mackie were proven, including that “her decision to deny (Miss Mace) admission contributed to her death”.

Miss Mays, who had long had mental health problems, died at her home in Hull on 25 July 2014, after she was turned away at Miranda House by the Humber NHS Foundation Trust crisis team, a specialist in-house in the city. The patient unit, nevertheless, is at real risk of suicide and is considered “extremely vulnerable”.

The panel heard how the police were called to the unit due to self-destructive behavior following Miss Mace’s decision not to accept her and the officers reluctantly took her home, despite asking the team to reconsider their decision. .

People in serious trouble deserve help and support. Those charged with caring for them have an obligation to treat them with dignity, respect, kindness, and to assess them thoroughlyangela mays

The report detailed how a colleague of Mr Mackie told Miss Mace that she would see him on Monday “to which she replied that she would be dead by Monday”.

The report outlines a series of severe symptoms in Mr Mackey’s case, including that he “put (Miss Mays) at grave risk of harm”, that he “treated (Miss Mays), an extremely frail patient. which lacked basic facilities, fundamental care and compassion”.

It said: “Despite having many opportunities to demonstrate insight and remorse, Mr Mackie has shown no insight or remorse.”

Mr Mackie, a Band 7 Senior Crisis Resolution nurse who served on the team acting as gate-keeper for mental health hospital admissions, did not cooperate with the NMC investigation and, according to the report, the process Described as a “circus”. ,

In December, Mr and Mrs May, who lives in Hull, won a High Court battle to have a fresh investigation into their daughter’s death.


Andy and Angela Mays outside the Royal Court of Justice last year (Tom Pilgrim/PA)

It was after it emerged that important evidence was withheld from inquiries and other investigations into conversations between a consultant and another health professional, which may have provided another opportunity to prevent Miss Mays’s death.

Mr and Mrs Mays has dedicated herself to campaigning full-time through her blog to establish the truth about her daughter’s death and prevent anything like this from happening to other families.

Mrs Mays told the PA news agency: “It’s not just Sally and our family, it’s for all the other families who have been miserably failed by mental health services.”

Mrs Mays said she felt the NMC was thoroughly investigated, but should have been done years ago.

“I think the hearing and the report is strong,” she said.

“I’m sorry it took 2,263 days since I reported McKee to the NMC to get to this level.”

She said: “People in serious trouble deserve help and support.

“Those who are charged with caring for them have an obligation to treat them with dignity, respect, kindness, and to assess them thoroughly.

“Where they fail to show any human kindness, any respect and do not do their job, they will be kicked out.”

Mrs Mays said that, 72 hours before her death, her daughter called 999 eight times, attended A&E five times, spoke to her community mental health team (CMHT) and psychiatrist several times and was contacted by crisis service. Seen on three different. chance.

She said that, on the last of these occasions, Miss Mace begged for the patient to be hospitalized for a short time, being in distress.

Mrs Mays said her daughter died within two hours of being taken back to her home, where she lived alone.

He dialed 999 again for help but it took 99 minutes for the ambulance to arrive.

Mrs Mays said: “I have waited seven and a half years.

“I want the truth to be told.

“I want the message to be out there.

“I want the professionals out there to pay attention to this.

“And I want the public to be safe.

“I don’t want to repeat the same situation over and over again.”

She said: “There needs to be a very, very clear message that this behavior is not within the code of conduct, will not be tolerated, and those who behave in this way will be held accountable.

“So that’s an absolutely important message.”

Recalling her daughter, Mrs Mays said: “She was a brilliant, funny, extremely talented, incredibly intelligent girl.”

She recalled how Miss Mays was extremely musical, played the violin, clarinet and piano, and also loved the sport, representing Yorkshire in badminton and enjoying ice hockey, running and even boxing. She was

“We loved him to bits,” she said.