The late Alex Kendelen tries to win over Ulster by defeating 14-man Munster with a Zebo red card

Ulster failed to secure the first win since 2014, despite playing more than three-quarters against 14 men at Munster at Thomond Park.

Hen Simon Zebo was sent off after only a quarter of an hour, Ulster had already made an encouraging start, but the visitors would only pass two penalties from that point and Munster hit a late through Alex Kendelen. and secured the much-needed 18-13 victory. Calm down the anger of the restless locals lately.

Northern Province would however be surprised how they left Limerick with only one point, having failed to make the most of their numerical advantage on a night when, thanks to their three-week, squad a Covid-19 outbreak. Because of grew up in a rusty display.

A missed opportunity on the field and in the United Rugby Championship table, the gap to their southern rivals was narrowed on a night when it should have been increased.

Munster lost Peter O’Mahony in practice but was a more than capable replacement, at least in size to the British and Irish lion Tadhag Birne.

Nevertheless, it was Ulster who got off to a strong start owing to the indiscipline of their hosts.

A sloppy throw at the line-out saw an opening slip, but hooker Rob Herring made amends for that opening mistake moments later, as he slid down the base of the maul that was five meters from the line. And was brutally trampled.

Munster’s early woes worsened when, after only 15 minutes, Simon Zebo was sent off to direct his shoulder into Mike Lowry’s head.

While Mike Adamson originally appeared only to offer a yellow, noting that Lowry was approaching the field after claiming a high ball, he was instructed by his TMO to take another look. So the Scottish referee sent Munster off the field and the Irish wing.

Ulster would lose an important figure of its own, with John Cooney injured and replaced by Nathan Doak.

With Man Advantage, Dan McFarland would have expected his side to take the advantage at home, but his most familiar of weapons misfired when Beerne came on to intercept his maul and steal the ball.

However, it would be Ulster’s only real opening 20 minutes after the card, with a substantial portion of that time being spent with Munster on the attack. If the hosts were getting unwanted flashbacks from a week ago because they didn’t work, they made sure to at least score a yellow card for their opposition.

You felt Ulster heaved a sigh of relief when he took three points on offer after a second offside in quick succession.

Crowley would add another kick just above half-time, this time when Sam Carter was caught not rolling, but Munster failed to get the ball off the resumption pitch, giving Ulster a chance to cancel the score. met. Opportunity duly seized by the docket.

Nevertheless, the second half continued in the same vein, with Ulster only messing up the restart for Duane Vermeulen to allow the lines to be cleared with a breakdown turnover.

Thomas Ahern made an even more significant intervention when he rose to steal a line-out five meters in front of Kieran Treadwell, while another promising position looked nothing at all when Ulster blocked his next attack.

With Ulster doing little to take advantage of the Extra-Man, Munster seemed relatively comfortable in defense, even though they were not enjoying the same amount of time on the ball after the turn.

A double penalty won by Scrum provided the first half of the half with 25 minutes left, but the numbers were temporarily leveled when Kieran Treadwell was held for a tip tackle.

And Munster would progress far better against 14 than Ulster, scoring shortly after thanks to a brilliant pass from Craig Casey to Mike Healy. Jack Crawley, however, could not tie the score as his conversion came back from the post.

In back-and-forward competition, Birney, the dominant force on the pitch, only forced a turnover to see his feat matched by Rob Herring and Nick Timoney, as Treadwell prepared for a comeback.

Ulster’s line-out was as poor as the game itself, with Dock probably contributing to the decision to aim for positions within nine minutes from inside the Munster half, but it was cut short when the kick was on the line.

Ultimately, Ulster’s willingness to put the onus on M√ľnster by kicking the ball to their hosts would cost them dearly as the highly criticized Johan van Gran team took the first lead of the game with only four minutes remaining, when Alex Kendelen went through a scary break. The latter crashed from Jack O’Donoghue.

This was exactly what Munster needed.

Munster: M Haley; S French, C Farrell, R Scannell, S Zebo; J Crowley, C KC; Kilcoyne D, Scannell N, Archer S; T. Ahern, F. Wicherley; T. Beerne, J. Hodnett, G. Combs.

Replacement: Jay Witcherley (51 for Kilcoyne), De Barron (for Ann Scannell 51), Jay Ryan (45 for Archer), S Daly (45 for French), B Healy (62 for Crowley), A Kendelon (K for Hodnett, 62), J. O. Donoghue (for Ahern, 64), Ann Cronin (for Casey, 72)

Ulster: M Lowry; C Gilroy, B Moxham, J Hume, E McIlroy; B. Burns, J. Cooney; J McGrath, R Herring, T O’Toole; O’Connor, S. Carter; G Jones, N Timoney, D Vermeulen.

Replacement: Ann Doak (for Cooney, 23), A Warwick (for McGrath, 45), Kay Treadwell (for Carter, 45), Em Ree (for Jones, 62), A Curtis (for Jay Hume, 62) , J Andrew (for Herring, 77), R Kane (for O’Toole, 77), R Little (for Gilroy, 77)

Referee: M Adamson (SRU)

Shaktiman: T Beerne (MUN)