Tyrone’s January hangover continues as Armagh suffer second defeat in four days over All-Ireland champions

All-Ireland champion Tyrone has been hit by a January hangover.

Hay lost their second game in four days going down to Armagh in Omagh this afternoon.

Under Mickey Hart he became a McKenna Cup specialist, winning 12 titles including eight of the last nine during his reign.

But their lackluster hopes of making it to the knock-out stage were extinguished in front of their own fans, although they would be encouraged by a return in the second half.

Armagh, who won the McKenna Cup in 1994, has now advanced to the semi-finals on Tuesday night where he will face Monaghan.

But Kieran McGinney will be more engaged than ever with his team’s first game in the league’s top flight against Dublin at Croke Park on January 29. Still, he has made a decent start till 2022.

Tyrone made just four starts for the All-Ireland side: Frank Burns, Conn Kilpatrick, Conor Meyler and Matthew Donnelly but Armagh also fielded an experimental team.

There was a noticeable difference in styles from the start: Tyrone favored moving the ball through waves of hand-passes, while Armagh was more daring and kicked the ball. This approach earned his first point through Ryan O’Neill after three minutes.

But several of his kicked clearances off defense were taken in the wrong direction, allowing the home team to play ball-keeping for a long spell in the first quarter.

But Armagh’s kicking improved, and his straight approach set up a 0-3 0-1 advantage before scoring his first goal of the game in 13.th Minute.

A diagonal ball from Ryan O’Neill was found to his full-forward colleague Andrew Nugent, who brilliantly caught his marker Liam Raftey before joining up with Jason Duffy – a late replacement for Andrew Murrin – and he deftly Defeats Darragh McAnally from close quarters.

Duffy added another point before the water break to bring his tally to 1–2 and the poverty of Tyrone’s performance was underlined by his failure to score in the first quarter.

Armagh held Duffy back in the opening second quarter as he suffered a hamstring strain, while Tyrone sat on Footballer of the Year Kieran McGarry after 25 minutes.

Even though corner-back Liam Raftery scored 23. Got Tyrone’s first point by playing inDoctor Tyrone’s full-back line was repeatedly exposed by the minute, Armagh’s use of the long ball, and Nugent and O’Neill’s excellence.

The home side improved mainly due to the efforts of Matty Donnelly. And he got a crucial break just before the half-time whistle.

Midfielder Conn Kilpatrick took advantage of the space created by his colleagues and scored a goal to bring the home team back into the game. But at half-time, Armagh took a 1-9 lead 1-5.

The visitors introduced experienced duo Rory Grugan and Stephen Campbell at intervals, while Tyrone continued to experiment, withdrawing Frank Burns.

Among the three options offered by Tyrone was Paul Donaghy, who made an impressive impact with his ability to win points.

He won and converted two as Tyrone threatened to over-run the visitors in the third quarter, outscoring them 0-7 to 0-4, including a hat-trick of unanswered points, leaving them one behind. get left. But then Rory Grugan outlines his hunter instincts with the peach of a target for Armagh.

By the start of the final quarter, both teams had cleared their benches, but Armagh’s nose was still in front (2-13; 1-12).

Tyrone had most of the ball in the final quarter but Armagh’s ability to break through the pace enabled him to kick important scores.

One of the highlights of the competition was a breath-taking save from Tyrone goalkeeper Darragh McNally in injury time from Jammer Hall, but that didn’t stop him from suffering a second consecutive defeat and being knocked out of the tournament.

Scorers: Tyrone: P Donaghy 0-4 (2m), C Kilpatrick 1-0, M Donnelly 0-3, (1 45, 1m), C Meyler 0-2, L Brennan (1 45), L Rafferty, Jay Garrity , El Nugent, Ann Donnelly, D McCurry (f) 0-1 each

Armagh: J Duffy 1-2, R Grughan 1-1 (1m), A Nugent, R O’Neill (1f) 0-3 each, R McQuillan, C O’Neill, J Ogg Burns, C Mackins (1 m), A Forker, S Campbell 0-1 each

Tyrone: Dee McNally; S. Lofran, C. Quinn, L. Rafferty; R. Brennan, R. McCusker, F. Burns; C Kilpatrick, J Oguz; Ann Donnelly, C. Meyler, P. Heron; L. Brennan, M. Donnelly, L. Nugent.

Members: K McGarry (26) for R Brennan, Jay Garrity for Heron (HT), P Donaghy for L Brennan (HT), M McCarney (HT) for Burns, R Donnelly (46) for Oguzz, Nugent Dee McCurry for (53) , M. Donnelly for T. Carney (57), Ann. Donnelly for S. Hamill (57), McCusker for P. Harte (62)

Armagh: S Magill; Burns P, Higgins C, Forker A; C O’Neill, Ann Rowland, C Mackin; J Og Burns, B Creely; K Kelly, C O’Hallon, R McQuillan; A Nugent, J Duffy R O’Neill.

Members: M Shields (18) for Duffy, R. Grughan for Kelly (HT), S. Campbell for O’Hanlan (HT), J Hall (53) for McQuillan, C. Mackin (53) for Rowland, Forker R Finn (60), Jay Shields for Sheridan (60), Creeley for B McCambridge (67m), C O’Neill for Ann Smith (67m)

Referee: Pei Faloon (below)