Virginia Giuffre applauds court decision allowing Andrew’s civil sex case to proceed


Virginia Giuffre has praised the court’s decision to enable her civil sex case against the Duke of York to proceed to trial.


Judge Louis A. Kaplan on Wednesday rejected a motion by Duke’s lawyers to dismiss the lawsuit after they argued that Ms Giuffre had waived the royal’s right to pursue her by signing a confidential settlement with disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein. Had given.

Ms Giuffre is suing Duke in the US for allegedly sexually assaulting her when she was a teenager.


He wrote on Twitter that he was “delighted” by the decision, adding: “I am delighted to have the opportunity to continue uncovering the truth and am extremely grateful to our exceptional legal team.

“Their determination helps me get justice from those who have hurt me and many others. My goal has always been to show that the rich and powerful are not above the law and should be held accountable.

“I do not walk this path alone, but with countless other survivors of sexual abuse and trafficking.”


It comes after the Queen stripped Andrew of his honorary military roles and dramatically dropped the use of HRH style from the civilian sex affair.

Andrew, who was born an HRH, will not use it in any official capacity, a royal source said and the duke has also been stripped of his remaining royal patronage.

The decision represents the Duke’s complete expulsion from official royal life, and is an attempt to distance the monarchy from Andrew, who was second in line to the throne as heir in the year of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.


This paves the way for Andrew to settle out-of-court without fear of his decision with Ms Giuffre – likely to be viewed adversely by the public – due to being linked to the royal family.

Ms Giuffre claims Andrew’s friend Jeffrey Epstein trafficked her to have sex with Duke when she was 17 and a minor under US law.

Duke has vehemently denied the allegations.

A royal source said the issue had been discussed widely within the royal family, making it likely that the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge were involved in crisis talks over the matter.

Buckingham Palace said in a statement on Thursday: “With the Queen’s approval and agreement, the Duke of York’s military affiliations and royal patronage have been returned to the Queen.

“The Duke of York will not perform any public duty and is defending the matter as a private citizen.”

It is understood that the decision was taken by mutual consent between the queen and her son, but the final decision would have been a failure for the monarch and a difficult decision.

As a former Royal Navy officer who served in the Falklands War, the loss of his association with military units and regiments would be keenly felt by the Grenadier Guards’ most distinguished colonel, Andrew.

The source said the military outposts would be redistributed to other members of the royal family.

But Andrew would retain his position of vice admiral and his role of state counselor, which is performed by one monarch’s spouse and the next four adults in the line of succession.

It is not clear how this decision will affect the level of protection provided for the duke, now that his position has been reduced.

The Queen is the head of the armed forces and honorary military appointments are her gift.

The Palace had previously said the Duke’s military appointments had been put on hold after he stepped down from public duties following his disastrous Newsnight interview in 2019.

But until now he still retained the roles that had left eight British regiments in limbo for more than two years.

A source close to the Duke said he would “continue to defend himself” against Ms Giuffre’s allegations after the judge’s ruling rejected his legal team’s attempt to dismiss the case.

The source said: “Given the strength with which Judge Kaplan welcomed our arguments, we are surprised by this decision.

“However, this was not a decision on the merits of Ms Giuffre’s allegations.

“This is a marathon not a sprint and Duke will continue to defend itself against these claims.”

Andrew’s other British honorary military roles were: Honorary Air Commodore of RAF Lossiemouth; Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Irish Regiment; Colonel-in-Chief of the Small Arms School Corps; Commodore-in-Chief of the Fleet Air Arm; Royal Colonel of the Royal Highland Fusiliers, 2nd Battalion, Royal Regiment of Scotland; Deputy Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Lancers (Queen Elizabeth O’Neal); and Colonel-in-Chief of the Yorkshire Regiment.

Go here for more stories about where you live in your area.

,