Wes Hulahan’s Cambridge knock Newcastle out of the FA Cup in the third round at St James’ Park

Joe Ironside destroyed Kieran Trippier’s party when League One Cambridge knocked out Premier League Newcastle from the FA Cup at St James’s Park.

The England full-back was handed a Magpie debut in a third-round tie a day after completing his move from Atlético Madrid, but celebrations turned sour upon his arrival as the Cambridges turned to Eddie Howe’s relegation-threatened side. Got hurt

Ironside made a less than effective defense to score the game’s only goal with 56 minutes left and Newcastle, who had previously dismissed Fabian Schaar and Jacob Murphy’s attacks right offside, gathered an effective response in front of one. were unable to. Bumper crowd of 51,395.


Cambridge striker Joe Ironside scored the winning goal. (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)

For the visitors, who sit 16th in the third tier, it proved to be a famous afternoon as he produced a string of spectacular saves in the fourth round with keeper Dimitar Mitov, one of them a surprise effort. To put out Joelinton’s injury-time header.

Trippier made his presence felt vocally as well as on the ball as a promising start from the Premier League side fell victim to a series of errors, and the Magpies were lucky not to be paid for their lack of concentration, leading to Full – Free header returned from a short corner in the 16th minute to George Williams.

Allan Saint-Maximin, who had pulled wide of an earlier attempt, was unable to hit the target two minutes later after completing Murphy’s cross at full-stretch, and he hit a 21st-minute pass with home to Joelinton. Failed to receive at the end. The side finally starts to find a rhythm.

Mitov did well to remove Murphy’s curling effort with a wise pass from Saint-Maximin, but Joelinton’s header was grounded with some rest from a Ryan Fraser corner.

The Magpies, playing for the first time in 12 days, dominated the possession, but were ruining it with a series of aimless crosses that caused some problems with the visitors’ defence.

However, Mitov had to save in quick succession from Saint-Maximin and Murphy on either side of a correctly denied Shars strike.

Meanwhile, last man Matt Ritchie was given the benefit of the doubt after an ambiguous challenge on Harvey Nibbs by both referee Michael Salisbury and VAR officer Peter Banks.

Mitov had to excel at the stroke of half-time to turn Murphy’s rasping drive toward the crossbar, and two minutes after the restart Joelinton was grateful to see Steer Trippier’s corner straight into his wait.

Murphy’s finish in the 51st minute counted as an offside flag ruined their celebration, and Trippier could not beat the defensive wall four minutes later with a free-kick as the Magpies’ frustration grew.

The mood inside St James’s Park worsened when first Martin Dubravka and then Fabian Schaar failed to put a ball into the box and Cambridge forward Ironside bounced to propel the visitors forward.

Shortly after, former Ireland international Wes Hulahan was introduced as Yu looked to close the game, his pass to Jack Lancaster for only a right offside call and the Cambridge ceremony was cut short. Sent to finish properly.

Newcastle’s response was solid, but dissatisfied as wide possession failed to seize a meaningful opportunity, although Cambridge needed a brilliant Mitov save from Joelinton’s late header to seal an unexpected victory.