What roles has Britain’s Prince Andrew lost and what’s next for the Queen’s son?

With the Duke of York facing the prospect of a court appearance in a civil sexual assault trial, the Platinum Jubilee year raised questions again about his military roles and his future in the royal family.

ut Andrew is no longer a colonel of the Grenadier Guards – one of the most senior infantry regiments in the British Army, stripped of his honorary affiliation with the Armed Forces, as well as his HRH style.

The development came on Thursday after calls by more than 150 veterans for the Queen to drop eight of her British military appointments.

Other British honorary titles he has lost are: Honorary Air Commodore of RAF Lossiemouth; Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Irish Regiment; Colonel-in-Chief of the Small Arms School Corps; Commodore-in-Chief of the Fleet Air Arm; Royal Colonel of the Royal Highland Fusiliers, 2nd Battalion, Royal Regiment of Scotland; Deputy Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Lancers (Queen Elizabeth O’Neal); and Colonel-in-Chief of the Yorkshire Regiment.

Buckingham Palace had previously stated that the Duke’s military roles were postponed, meaning that although the posts were temporarily inactive, Andrew retained them.

In August, it was reported that the Queen, who is the Colonel in Chief of the Grenadier Guards and Chief of the Armed Forces, told insiders that she wanted her son to continue as the regiment’s colonel – an honor she held. Taken from his father Duke. Edinburgh.

β€œThe feeling is that no one wants to do anything that can upset the colonel-in-chief. This is a very difficult, unsatisfactory situation,” a military source told the Sunday Times.

After the Duke stepped down from public duties in November 2019, a Palace spokesman said of his then-230 patronage: “He will step back from public duty and temporarily withdraw from all his patronage.”

More than 90 organizations still appear on the Duke’s list of charity and patronage on the official website.

Charity races to distance itself from the Queen’s second son after a devastating newsnight appearance about her friendship with convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein.

2022 is considered a year of celebration for Windsor, with the Queen less than a month away from reaching the country’s festivities for her platinum jubilee and the historic occasion scheduled for June.

Andrew has already given up on public duties, and was not even featured in publicly released photos marking the wedding of his daughter Princess Beatrice last year.

Covid disrupted the last two Trooping the Color parades, meaning the Duke’s possible presence or absence in his role as colonel of the Grenadier Guards was not an issue.

This year, Trooping the Color is part of the four-day Jubilee Weekend. But the Duke will be absent from the run for the royal festivities.

Writing in The Spectator, former BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt said: “It looks like sacking when you’re ninth in line to the British throne.

“No more appearances on the balcony of Buckingham Palace; Horseback riding during Trooping the Colour; Or lay a wreath at the graveyard on Remembrance Sunday.”

The royal family is also set to gather for a Thanksgiving service in memory of the Duke of Edinburgh in the spring.

The Westminster Abbey event, which can be televised, has the complexity of being a family occasion for the Windsors and a public occasion for the organizations Philip has worked for during his decades of royal duty.

Buckingham Palace previously declined to comment on whether Andrew would attend.

In part of its statement on Thursday, the Palace said: “The Duke of York will continue to perform no public duties.”

This could mean that Andrew faces the prospect of not attending his father’s memorial service.

The Duke, who was born a prince and an HRH, has renounced his HRH style, and like the Duke and Duchess of Sussex he retains it but will not use it in any official capacity.

His mother gifted him her dukedom on their wedding day and it is unlikely to be removed if any at this stage.

Virginia Giuffre has sued Duke in the US for allegedly sexually assaulting her as a teenager.

She claims that she was trafficked by Epstein to have sex with Andrew when she was 17 years old and a minor under US law.

Duke has vehemently denied the allegations.